Monday, June 05, 2023

Call story to Certified Lay Ministry

In general, my call to ministry has not been a single, dramatic event, but instead a lifetime experience of sanctifying grace. I have always, even as a child, believed in God. I was baptized in the Presbyterian Church, attended a Lutheran church for a time, and was then invited by a friend to visit her United Methodist Church, and I’ve been there ever since.  Beginning with UMYF,  I have felt called to ministry, to give of my gifts and time to the work of Christ’s church.

For someone to understand my call to Certified Lay Ministry, I think it is necessary to know about three “thin places” in my life of faith - times when God was especially close and God’s leading was particularly apparent. 

In the fall of 2006, I was a pilgrim on a Walk to Emmaus. I approached the walk like I would a scientific experiment.  I did research. I knew the schedule, I knew about the tables and talks, and I was a little suspicious that the team was trying to manipulate me.  What I found, once I let go of a need to control what was happening, was that God was present with me on the walk.  I learned to trust more and love more. The year that followed was full of grace - everything about my faith life was different. I learned that if I were called to do something, God would be present with me.  Trust more.

In late 2007 and early 2008, I felt I would be leaving my position as a Research Associate. I didn’t know what was next, but something was.  Late that spring, I applied for a position, and was scheduled for an interview.  In the intervening time, I learned that the position of Associate Director at The Foundation was still open. I went to bed one night, certain the position was not for me (way out of my knowledge base), and I got up the next morning (without any sleep), knowing that I needed to apply. When we sing “I heard you calling in the night,” I know what it means.  The first position wasn’t mine, but the one at The Foundation was - it was where God was calling me to be. It felt like stepping out of a boat, onto unknown waters, but God was there, and still is. Trust more.

I was in the right place, but I needed to be equipped. That meant learning more about the work I would do, but it also meant more growth in my call. I was already a certified lay servant (or a certified lay speaker - whichever it was at that point), but God was nagging me to explore Certified Lay Ministry.  I did.  I researched, I checked out the curriculum, and I tried to see how it would work. For me, and I think for others, CLM training feels like it is designed only for those who are seeking to be assigned to a church. That was not my call. I was convinced certified lay ministry was not for me, but God didn’t listen to my protests.  In 2010, at the end of one of our Board of Trustees meetings, I came in late for lunch. The only seat available was next to Herb Lambert, so that is the seat I chose. He was one of the first CLMs in our Conference. He starting talking about his experience, how he helped in ministry in his church, and how the process had worked for him.  It was exactly what I needed to hear in order to be convinced to proceed and to become certified. I believe God had a hand in that conversation.  I was certified as a CLM in 2011. Trust more.

God has called me to work that I love, serving individuals and churches on their journeys to be more generous and to be good stewards of God’s gifts. God has equipped me and provided authority for me through Certified Lay Ministry. I am grateful for the opportunities I have to share the gifts God has given to me; I am grateful for those people who have provided guidance, encouragement, and inclusion. I believe that I am blessed to be a blessing, so I hope that is what I do. Love more.

 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home