Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Catholic Spirit

I'm really enjoying the Wesley Theological seminary offerings through Be A Disciple.  The course I just finished is Methodist  Identity: Beliefs. 

As I worked through the course - I read some of  Wesley's sermons.  The day I wrote this post, I read Catholic Spirit. The man is articulate and inspired.  If you are interested in reading it yourself, it's online.   In this sermon, he is discussing what he considers to be essential beliefs of a Christian (I'm not listing those, but they are worth reading), and how, beyond those beliefs, we are to think and let think. It's a beautiful sermon on how to treat someone who disagrees with you. It's something I think we should all read.

From the sermon:

"If it be, give me thy hand." I do not mean, "Be of my opinion." You need not: I do not expect or desire it. Neither do I mean, "I will be of your opinion." I cannot, it does not depend on my choice: I can no more think, than I can see or hear, as I will. Keep you your opinion; I mine; and that as steadily as ever. You need not even endeavour to come over to me, or bring me over to you. I do not desire you to dispute those points, or to hear or speak one word concerning them. Let all opinions alone on one side and the other: only "give me thine hand."

What does it mean to "take my hand?" Wesley says it means to love me with a love that is kind.  Pray for me. Move me to good works. Love me not only in deed but also in action.  Do we do that? Do we take the hand of someone who disagrees with us? Will we not only ask for their love and prayers but also give them? Will we love a person we disagree with through our actions?

Doesn't this sound like something we need to read? To take to heart?

But while he is steadily fixed in his religious principles in what he believes to be the truth as it is in Jesus; while he firmly adheres to that worship of God which he judges to be most acceptable in his sight; and while he is united by the tenderest and closest ties to one particular congregation, --his heart is enlarged toward all mankind, those he knows and those he does not; he embraces with strong and cordial affection neighbours and strangers, friends and enemies. This is catholic or universal love. And he that has this is of a catholic spirit. For love alone gives the title to this character: catholic love is a catholic spirit.


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home