Monday, January 20, 2020

Book Review: Genesis for Normal People


A few years ago, I tried posting book reviews.  A good idea, but not much follow through on my part.  I posted three of them.  So, let's try again.

Information about the Book
Title: Genesis for Normal People, 2nd edition
Authors: Peter Enns & Jared Byas
Publisher: The Bible for Normal People
Copyright date: 2019
Links:
I purchase the book from Amazon - here is the link

Summary
The book has eleven chapters, an introduction, and a conclusion.  Each of the chapters focuses on a set of chapters from Genesis.  The book also contains a Study Guide, and could be used for group study.

The authors stated purpose is NOT to write a book for scholars or seminary students, but for "normal" people - and I guess normal people are those who are not defined as scholars or seminary students.  

Impressions
  • The book is very readable.  It engaged my curiosity and attention.  The Jared and Peter write well. 
  • While it was not written for scholars or seminary students, I think they should read it.  It doesn't include the deep, scholarly background that I assume seminary students read, but it does seem well grounded in scholarship.  
  • Most of all, for me, the book was full of ah ha moments.  Jared and Peter engage the scripture in new (for me) ways.  Readers are challenged to let go of presuppositions, and look for new insight.  I knew from the first chapter - reading Genesis as an ancient text - that the book would lead me to growth in my understanding of Genesis.  By the time I got to Chapter 3 (the creation stories), I was already planning a Sunday school lesson so that I could share some of the insight I was experiencing.

Recommendation
Yes yes yes.  Go read this book.  On the back cover, Rachel Held Evans is quoted as saying, "The authors manage to simplify without dumbing down, challenge without confusing, and dig for deep truth without compromising their intellectual integrity A must-read for anyone who cares enough about the Bible to want to read and understand it on its own terms."  I can't say it better myself.


Posts
Here are posts I've written that were inspired by the book.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Peter Janssen said...

Hi nice reaading your post

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home