Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Isaiah's Call: Never Worthy


Next, let's look at the call of Isaiah found in Isaiah 6.  This is a different call than those of Abram and Moses.  This isn't a person walking through a desert.  In this passage, Isaiah is telling us about a vision he had of God.  It is majestic and other worldly.  And yet Isaiah's response is very human.  Read verse 5:  "And I said, 'Woe is me! I am lost, for I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips; yet my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts!'"

What is God's response to this statement? A seraphim approaches him with a hot coal, and touches it to his lips. See verse 7:  "And he touched my mouth and said, 'Behold, this has touched your kips; you guilt is taken away, and your sin atones for.'"

There are a couple of things I notice here.  First, the cleansing of guilt and sin comes before Isaiah has a chance to either hear or answer a call.  He doesn't earn this 'salvation' by his actions or ascent.  God just acts.  This is grace.  This is the grace that we receive, every day.  We don't always see it; we never earn it, but it is there.

Secondly, our sin is no excuse for not responding to God.  God approaches us where we are (remember?) and God knows who we are, even to the darkest and most secret parts of us.  And yet God calls.  And God prepares us.  

We are never worthy. And yet we are called.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home