Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Genesis 15: Part 2

Thinking about Genesis 15 (see yesterday's post)

Doubt
What is your initial impression of the story?  What do you think Abram’s responses say about his faith?  Verse 2 says, “But Abram said, ‘O Lord God, what will you give me, for I continue childless, and the heir of my house is Eliezer of Damacus?” Does Abram’s response indicate faith or doubt?
  • What do you think about doubt? Is it a sin? Is it a natural part of faith? (I think doubt is evidence that we are exploring our faith deeply – I think doubt is the growing pain of sanctifying grace – in order to mature in our faith, we have to ask God and our faith questions. I think we can trust God enough to bring God our doubts.)
  • When have you experienced doubt? Do you doubt your ability to answer God’s call? Do you find doubt in your faith? Does Abram’s doubt help you relate to him?
  • How does God respond to Abram’s doubt? with patience or impatience? How will God respond to your own doubts? How should we respond to other people’s doubts?
Role of Nature in the story
God takes Abram outside to look at the stars. Imagine what the night sky looked like the desert with no light pollution or buildings to block the starshine. It must have been a beautiful site that easily illustrated God’s point about descendants. What would this have told Abham? It would have been a reminder that God created the stars – this is God. It reminds me of the scenes in Job when God says things like, “Were you there when I set the foundation of the earth?” God’s not just saying, “Count the stars.” God is saying, “Remember who I am.”


Does God ever open your eyes to God’s presence through nature?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home