Monday, November 27, 2017

Anything to Declare?

I will sing of your steadfast love, O Lord, forever;
with my mouth I will proclaim your faithfulness to all generations.
I declare that your steadfast love is established forever;
your faithfulness is as firm as the heavens.  (Psalm 89:1-2)

Earlier this week, in a meeting I attended, the chairperson of the committee shared a devotional. He read a scripture passage (I don't think it was the Psalm above, but it was one about declaring the works of God, so this one works, too), and then he said, "Do you have anything to declare?" 

Later that day, in an office conversation, we were talking about the worship practice of witnessing - a member of the congregation will stand and will tell the story of how God has been at work in his or her life that week.  In the church I attend, no one ever does this; no one is invited to do this. I'm not complaining, or saying one way is better than another, but the juxtaposition of the two experiences brought to mind the following question for me:

Do we have anything to declare? Does the fact that in my church we never declare the personal work of God in our lives mean that we forget how to do it? And does that make us uncomfortable when we are encountered with an opportunity to do so? Does God ever create that opportunity for us? If not, is it because we aren't prepared for it? What can we, who don't often witness in worship, do to better prepare ourselves to make a declaration of the work of God?


Do you have anything to declare? Are you prepared to do so?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home