Friday, December 16, 2016

Logos Isaiah 7:10-13

Isaiah 7:10-13:

Again the LORD spoke to Ahaz, saying, Ask a sign of the LORD your God; let it be deep as Sheol or high as heaven.  But Ahaz said, I will not ask, and I will not put the LORD to the test. Then Isaiah said: "Hear then, O house of David! Is it too little for you to weary mortals, that you weary my God also?  Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Look, the young woman is with child and shall bear a son, and shall name him Immanuel.
  • If God wants me to have a donut, then there will be a parking space in front of Jolly Pirate.
  • If God wants me to give money to this homeless man, then he'll know to ask for $2.76.
  • If God wants me to become lay leader, then Shirley - the woman who never attends the Lay Leadership Committee meetings - will be the person who asks me to do it.
  • God must want me to go to Disneyland because that stain on my blanket looks like Mickey Mouse.
OK, I'm being silly, but do we ask for signs before we are obedient? Do we sometimes fail to recognize that God has already provided all of the guidance that we need? Could it be that we don't want to see all of the signs around us?

So we wait. And while we might not ask for something as silly as a Mickey Mouse stain, we do avoid looking into the eyes of the homeless man, or answering the phone call from the pastor. We fail to heed even the most obvious directions from God, not because we are blind to the signs, but because we refuse to see them.

Or am I the only one who thinks so? Who does this?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home