Friday, November 18, 2016

Logos: Words this week

I try not to be the kind of person who just lifts verses out of scripture without context and holds them up as words we need to hear. Sometimes that works, but sometimes it doesn't, and we need to be aware of that.  But this evening, I was reading the lectionary readings for this coming Sunday, and I was struck by the number of verses in those passages that remind of that God is in control, that we should not fear, and that we are not alone.  Take a moment and read these verses, pulled from this weeks lectionary readings:

  • I will raise up shepherds over them who will shepherd them, and they shall not fear any longer, or be dismayed, nor shall any be missing, says the LORD.  (Jeremiah 23:4)
  • Blessed be the Lord God of Israel, for he has looked favorably on his people and redeemed them.  (Luke 1:68)
  • God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change, though the mountains shake in the heart of the sea; (Psalm 46:1-2)
  • The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. (Psalm 46:7)
  • "Be still, and know that I am God! I am exalted among the nations, I am exalted in the earth." The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge.  (Psalm 46:10-11)
  • May you be made strong with all the strength that comes from his glorious power, and may you be prepared to endure everything with patience, while joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has enabled you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the light.  (Colossians 1:11-12)
  • He himself is before all things, and in him all things hold together.  (Colossians 1:17)
  • Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom."  He replied, "Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in Paradise."  (Luke 23:42-43)


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home