Friday, August 19, 2016

Logos: Jeremiah 1:4-8

Years (and years) ago, I did a series on the blog that I called Logos. Each week I would write a post based on one of the revised common lectionary readings for the week.  I'm going to revise that habit for a time, starting this week. I'll try to post a Logos post on Fridays.
Now the word of the LORD came to me saying, "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations." Then I said, "Ah, Lord GOD! Truly I do not know how to speak, for I am only a boy." But the LORD said to me, "Do not say, 'I am only a boy'; for you shall go to all to whom I send you, and you shall speak whatever I command you, Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you, says the LORD." (Jeremiah 1:4-8)
Ok, I admit it. I don't like to read the book of Jeremiah. Most of the time I find it to be difficult to follow, but as I read this passage, I was reminded of the idea that God has known us since "before I formed you in the womb."

What difference does it make in our lives if our creator thought us into being before we were even formed? What difference does it make if we were consecrated to God's service before our birth?

When God calls us to service and action, and we respond, "I don't know how to do that." or "I'm not good enough to carry out this mission" - what does God say to us? "Before you were born, I consecrated you."

Moses tried to change God's mind in one of my favorite Old Testament bible passages. God is telling Moses he is going to Egypt and is going to do the work to release God's people from slavery. Moses tries every trick in his book to get out of it. God listens to Moses, and answers his protests, but God never says, "Oh, OK, I must have chosen the wrong person."

We are called by God. The difference that makes is that the one who formed us into being, and knows every stitch of us, knows who we are, warts and all, has consecrated us, equipped us, and calls us. You think you are not worthy? God knows you, and has made you worthy of the call. God knew you before you were born.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home