Monday, June 01, 2015

Vile

John Wesley visited George Whitefield in Bristol and witnessed how Whitefield preached to thousands of people in the fields.  According to Adam Hamilton (Revival), Wesley wrote in his journal:
I could scarce reconcile myself at first to this strange way of preaching in fields ... having been all my life (till very lately) so tenacious of every point relating to decency and order that I should have thought that saving of souls almost a sin if it had not been done in a church....At four in the afternoon I submitted to "be more file," and proclaimed in the highways the glad tidings of salvation, speaking from a little eminence in a ground adjoining to the city, to about three thousand people.
I'm amazed that the person who said, "the world is my parish," at first found this it to be almost sinful, not because of scripture, but because of what he had been taught as a priest.

What is there in the way we are taught faith "should be" that we need to let go of so that God can use us more?  I can think of so many "shoulds" that the list would be incredibly long - what we should wear (and what others should wear), what the music should be, what the order of worship should be, where we should have church, how we should worship together, how we should treat others, etc. What do we need to release that isn't a teaching of God so that the teaching of God can be heard by those who need to hear it?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home