Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Proof?

Sorry to have been missing for a few days.  It was a very busy week, and I'm heading into another busy one.  I'll try to post this week, but if I'm not here, know that I'll be back soon.

Mike Slaughter's, in his book, Renegade Gospel, wrote about a scientist named Francis Collins.  Dr. Collins was the leader of the Human Genome Project.  The goal of the project was to map all of the base pairs in the human genome and to identify and map all of the human genes.  Fascinating and wonderful stuff:  Collins wrote the book The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief.  Slaughter quotes Collins:
It took me a while to get comfortable sharing this experience with other peope in science.  I was happy to talk about it with my family and with other people who were not in the scientific arena.  But like most scientists, I had this fear that having accepted something in the way of a spiritual world view, I would be perceived as having gone just a little bit soft; that this was not compatible with the rigorous "show me the data" attitude that a scientist is supposed to have towards all things.
Now, I might say that particular conclusion is, in itself, all wrong.  There will never be a scientific proof of God's existence.  Science explores the natural, and God is outside the natural.  So there is going to be no substitute for making a decision to believe, and that decision will never be undergirded by absolute data-driven proof.
So often I hear people say, "When I look at the sunrise, I wonder how anyone cannot believe in God. How could this be so beautiful without having been a creation of God?"  Really, though, I don't believe a beautiful sunrise is proof of God.  Don't get me me wrong; I look at a sunrise, and I am inspired by God's creative power, and yet, I know that it is my faith that allows me to see it.  It is not proof of God.

When I worked in the lab, I was fascinated with the intricacies of how our bodies work.  The idea of the chemical deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) coding our cells with the instructions to function was amazing to me.  Still is amazing to me.  In it, I can see the wonder and majesty of God.  And yet, I know I see that beauty because I already believe.  It is not proof.

You must believe without proof, and then you will see God everywhere.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home