Tuesday, March 17, 2015

A publicity stunt

I read this today in Disciplines 2015 (written about the movie The Ten Commandments, released in 1956):
Cecil B. DeMille, the producer-director of the film, devised an unusual publicity stunt to advertise his picture.  Working with a civic group, he had granite monuments engraved with teh commandments erected in the yards of hundreds of courthouses across the country, all for the purpose of promoting the movie.
I thought that was fascinating.  I wonder if this is the origin of so many monuments to the 10 Commandments being erected on court house lawns.  Interesting to me that what began as a secular movie promotion stunt has turned into (dare I say) an idol that should not be touched?  The author of this devotional (Bill Dockery) goes on to say, "Engraving the commandments on a stone and posting it in a public place seems to be a kind of idolatry forbidden by the third commandment."

What do you think?  Does it make a difference to you that the 10 Commandment monuments were built not as a religious icon but as a publicity stunt? Is it idolatry?

Honestly, I do get annoyed by people who tell me that the Christian faith is under persecution in the United States.  We have it so easy here compared to places that are experience real persecution for their faith.  I don't think considering whether a monument to the 10 Commandments is a violation of the separation of church and state qualifies as persecution.

There.  Done.  Go out and love someone today.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home