Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Taking God with me

In 2 Kings 5, after Namaan is healed, he returns to see Elisha again.  Interesting that this time Elisha comes out to talk to him.  Namaan says, "Now I know that there is no God in all the earth except in Israel; please accept a present form your servant." (verse 15).

When my cousin was a young child, his parents explained to him that God was everywhere - not just in Church.  So one evening, their family went to a drive in movie (remember those? - I miss those).  When they got there, Alex rolled down the window and yelled, "Hey, God, we're here!"

Namaan didn't understand that God was everywhere, so he asks for two mule loads of earth to take with him to his home so that he would have God with him.  We (I) giggle at that, but do we do that?  Do we try to control where God is and what God sees?  Do we fail to confess our sins in an attempt to not tell them to God?  I always disliked the verse of Psalm 139 that says, "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my thoughts.  See if there is any wicked way in me and lead me in the way everlasting" (Verse 23-24).  Someone once asked me, "What would you do if Jesus asked to come to your house?"  I would ask him to wait an hour so that I could go clean it.

We don't control where God goes or what God knows.  He goes everywhere and knows our "inward parts."  I know we know that; I know I know that, but do I really know that?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home