Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Not right now

I was reading the blog An Unfinished Symphony, and was stopped by this post.    It's about Jason Gray's song called Not Right Now.  The first link it to the blog post, and there you can read the lyrics.  The second link is to a YouTube video of the Jason singing the song, if you would like to listen to it (go listen to it).

Sometimes, I think, when a friend is hurting, we don't know what to say.  Sometimes, I think, when  friend is hurting, we just want to FIX it.  This song reminds us that there are times - perhaps more often than we know - that the best thing to do is to be present and just listen.  Offer no judgement or answers or reasons - just listen.

Think about Job and the visit of his friends.  At first, before they started talking, they just listened.  They were quiet.  They were present.  It can be a reminder to us of the necessity and possibilities of just listening.

From Jason's song:
While I wait for the smoke to clear
 You don’t even have to speak
 Just sit with me in the ashes here
 And together we can pray for peace
 To the one acquainted with our grief

I know someday
 I know somehow
 I’ll be okay
 But not right now

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home