Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Spiritual Gifts Inventories


I attended a Spiritual Gifts Class a month or so ago.  It was a great class - great teacher - much discussion.

As part of the class, we took a spiritual gifts inventory test.  That's not the first time I've taken an inventory; I completed one as part of my training to be a Certified Lay Minister.  The results of the two test were basically the same, although there were some differences.  I attribute the differences to the fact that the tests were different. Some of the gifts measured by one test were not included in the other one, etc.  Anyway, my results didn't surprise me.

What did surprise me was looking at the test results other people shared with me.  As part of the post-test process, we came together in small groups and discussed our scores and gifts.  The highest score that was possible was 20.  One of the women in my group had 8 gifts for which she scored 20 and 6 for which she scored 19.  That means out of 25 gifts, the test says she is highly gifted in 14 of them.  She considered a "really low" score to be 14.  Another person in my group, who I consider to be gifted, scored low in some areas and is discouraged by that.

It just makes me wonder if one of the influences on a gift assessment survey is your own opinion on your giftedness. One of my motivations were taking a test like that is to remove the bias I have about my gifts, but I wonder now how effective it is in doing that.  I think it goes to show that the spiritual gift assessment is just one tool for determining your gifts, and that it must be coupled with other assessment tools.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just completed an on-line course in rediscovering one's spiritual gifts. I was surprised to find out which gifts were identified as my top three gifts. But they did reflect what I have been doing recently and not necessarily what I might have thought they actually were.

While each person who takes a spiritual gifts inventory may have a preconceived notion of what their gifts are, the nature of the inventory almost always shows what the gifts are.

12:28 PM  
Blogger bob said...

I wonder if results would be more accurate if someone that knew the test taker well answered the questions. Self assessment is a very difficult skill and many of us don't possess it.

3:56 AM  
Blogger Steve Finnell said...

IS IT POSSIBLE TO BE A CHRISTIAN EVOLUTIONIST? BY STEVE FINNELL

According to a 2013 survey by the Pew Research Center 27% of white evangelical Protestants, 68% of white Catholics and 78% of white mainline Protestants believe that humans have evolved over time.

Is it possible to be a Christian evolutionist? How is that possible?

God is either the creator of all things or a human evolutionists. He is not both.

Genesis 1:26-27 Then God said , "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness.......27 So God created man in His own image...(NKJV)

God did not say let man evolve into His own image.

Matthew 19:4 And He answered and said to them, "Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning 'made them male and female." (NKJV)

Jesus said, male and female were made at the beginning. Male and female did not evolve, they were created.

Some who claim to be Christians, say that the Genesis account of creation is allegorical or mythical. Is Matthew 19:4 allegorical and mythical as well?

Others claim to believe in theistic evolution. God is either creator of all things or a humanist evolutionist, God is not both.


IS IT POSSIBLE TO BE CHRISTIAN AND AN EVOLUTIONISTS? GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!


YOU ARE INVITED TO FOLLOW MY BLOG. http//:steve-finnell.blogspot.com

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home