Monday, March 31, 2014

Peace Like a River

Two Sundays ago, we sang the song Peace Like a River.  I started thinking about the phrases in the song - peace like a river, joy like a fountain and love like an ocean.  What do those analogies mean to us?

What does it mean to have "peace like a river"?

  1. A river contains fresh water that sustains life.  Have you lived without peace?  What accumulates in our lives when we do not have peace?  Worry, preoccupation, hatred, selfishness?  What pollution cuts off true life when we are without peace?
  2. Rivers can rise up and overwhelm us with flooding. Peace can rise up and overwhelm us, filling us, changing us.  As I read that, I think it might not be a good analogy - flooding so often does not bring peace. Still, though, peace can flood into us, and it's a good experience.
  3. Rivers carry us from one point to another.  I think peace can do the same thing.  Peace can carry us from dark times to lighter times.  It can carry us from sadness, heartache and worry to resolution.    
  4. Rivers connect us to other places.  I think peace can connect us to other people.  It flows between us - peace is contagious.  
  5. A river can be calmly flowing or rapidly rushing, but either way, it is moving.  Peace can be calming, or peace can move us to action - either way, it motivates us to action.

What am I asking for if I ask for peace like a river?  Do I think I want calm, meandering quietness? I probably do, but that's not what rivers are always like.  Sometimes rivers are anything but quiet - they are often full of life and movement.  Peace isn't stillness or absence of violence.  Peace is the result of connection with God, and that might bring us what we won't imagine, or what we don't expect.

May we have peace like a river.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home