Monday, March 24, 2014

Standing in my Shoes

And going a little farther, he threw himself on the ground and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him.  He said, "Abba, Father, for you all things are possible; remove this cup from me." (Mark 14:35-36)

As you study the different Gospels you come to realize that each of the Gospel writers had different purposes in what they wrote, in what they focused on.  John would not have included the above passage from Mark, because for John, Jesus was always in control.  I'm glad Mark includes these moments in the garden.

There is a passage in the Bible that states that we are baptized with Jesus, and resurrected with Jesus (huge paraphrase).  I want that to be true, but I want the opposite to be true, as well.  As selfish as I am, I not only want Jesus to have come to earth for us to follow him, but for him be baptized with us.  I want Jesus to have experienced what it means to be human.

Have you ever tried to help someone but feel lost in your response because you really don't know what they have experienced?

There are many times when I ask for a cup to pass by me - and times when I allow a cup to pass by me.  I'm more grateful than I can say not only that Jesus picked up the cup, but also that he knows what it means to pray for the cup to pass by.

He has stood where I stand and that strengthens my belief that someday, I might be able to stand where he stands, by the grace of God.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home