Monday, January 27, 2014

Why Don't we Listen?

Come to me, you who labor and are overburdened, and I will give you rest.  Shoulder my yoke and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your soul.  Yes, my yoke is easy and my burden light.(Matthew 11:28-30)

This morning I read a piece by Henri Nouwen that mentions the scripture above and asks the question, "Why is is so difficult to be still and quiet and let God speak to me about the meaning of my life?"

First of all, I think it is an excellent question.  I often find myself ignoring any leading from God, moving quickly through my day, lost in the busyness of it.   If I even remember to listen for God, it is after I intentionally remind myself to do it.  And I'm not very intentional about it.

Nouwen ponders several possible reasons for our inattentiveness to God.  Is it a lack of trust, a lack of relationship, a doubt of God's presence or of God's interest in our lives?  Is it because we are afraid of God?  What is the reason?

I wonder if it is any of those, although I admit that any of them might be the cause.  I wonder if it is just because I am not in the habit of listening for God.  Everything else clamors for my attention. God doesn't (at least not very often).  In order to listen, I have to be intentional about it.  I have to remember to listen.  I have to block out everything else that is screaming for my time and gifts and focus on God.

I think that's one of the major reasons disciplines are so important.  They are just habits that focus our minds and ears on God.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger birdwatcher said...

Thanks- for the words and the sense that I am not alone - and I too have chosen to practice a disciple of reading so that I can better listen.

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home