Friday, August 09, 2013

Last First Day of School



Yesterday was the first day of school. It was also the last first day of school for our two boys. (When I told this to my younger son, he said, "What about college, Mom?)

Yes, college has first days of school, too, but yesterday was my younger son's first day of school as a senior in High School, and our family's last first day of school.

That's OK. I'm not sad about it. I love the way the were, years ago, with fresh boxes of crayons and pointed pencils, new notebooks and backpacks, crammed with school supplies from their "list," provided by the teacher. I remember taking time off work to go with them the first days, walking down the school hallway in the excitement of finding their names on the classroom roster beside their new school rooms.

But, I also love the way the are now, one of them preparing to go back to college and the other driving his car to Target to buy his own school supplies (OK, I miss picking out the notebooks with him, but there is something exciting about the idea that he did it on his own). I enjoy the almost adult conversations around the dinner table, as they tell us stories about their days and their dreams.

I love the way they are now, and I loved the way they were then. I wouldn't trade any of it. I'm not sad that time passes because tomorrow brings a new joy and a new excitement.

Yesterday was the last first day of school, and it just serves to remind me that time passes amazingly fast, and each moment can be embraced and treasured for the love and joy it brings

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger bob said...

Boy that sure is an early start date. Kids in the Cleveland area don't start until the 26 at the earliest.

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home