Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Young People

At the Convocation I recently attended, there were several comments about "young people" including:
  1. Young people need images in order to learn because of the technology they use.
  2. Young people have short attention spans.
Based on these "observations," in order to reach young people in church, one must use visuals and keep them entertained.

I don't agree with this.  I think about my two sons.  If they are engaged, they have very long attention spans.  They are more sophisticated than perhaps older people were at their age -- they have heard good speakers, and they expect good speakers.  They know about technology, so perhaps they get impatient when it is used poorly.

I wonder if the better assumptions are that we must do worship better.  I wonder if we use the "small attention span" and "must use visuals" as excuses.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home