Sunday, December 04, 2011

Two Prayer Phrases

I was thinking today as I listened to Joe's sermon of two comments I've heard concerning the Lord's Prayer:
  • Back when I was co-teaching a Wednesday night book study, one of the students said that she didn't like the phrase, "Lead us not into temptation."  She didn't believe God would ever lead us into temptation.  I was thinking about that today -- odd what pops into your mind.  I think God does lead us into temptation.  He doesn't do it for the sake of the temptation.  I don't think he does it to test us.  I do think, though, that it could be that anywhere we go, we will be exposed to temptation.  I also think that if we follow God, it will be necessary to go where he goes, and he goes where we are -- into temptation. He does not send us alone; he goes with us and will give us the strength to resist.  Perhaps it is best to say that God leads us through temptation.
  • Joe preached today about Herod.  One of his points was that we are uncomfortable with the thought of Herod because we find a part of ourselves that is not like God.  We are made in the image of God, but we are not reaching our full potential.  "Deliver us from evil" might means what we usually think it means -- from the evil outside of us, but could also be a request to deliver us from the evil inside of us.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home