Saturday, December 31, 2011

Breakfasts with the Wise Men, Part I

I have a story to share with you today about three wise men – THE three wise men.  Some of this story is biblical and some of it is not, and some of it is purely from my imagination.  Because it is an important skill to develop – the ability to tell the difference – I’ll leave it to you to determine which is which. 

Our story begins in Persia, with three wise men gathered together for breakfast.  Melchoir had invited Caspar and Balthazar to join him for a wise-men’s retreat – Melchior lived in Babylon, and he had the largest home of the three, so Caspar had come from Persia, and Balthazar from Asia.  It was a time to get together to read and study and to share their many “wise-men” insights.  Can’t you imagine all of the intense discussions, the certainty of “rightness” and the quoting of ancient masters?  As we join in their discussions, all three are sitting together at a large wooden table, drinking the strong coffee that Balthazar had brought with him from home.  Melchior’s trusted servant, Abid, moved around the room, serving plates of fruits and cheese.  The three men, much to Abid’s chagrin, were working their way through several manuscripts, reading, and dropping crumbs on the precious scrolls.  Abid was almost always frowning and scurrying around to clean up their messes.

All of a sudden, Caspar jumped up, his plate flew to the floor, and Abid grabbed for the hot coffee.  Ignoring all of that, Caspar said, “Listen to this, it is from an oracle by the name of Balaam – “I see him, but not now; I behold him, but not near – a star shall come out of Jacob, and a scepter shall rise out of Israel.”

Balthazar countered, “Very interesting.  Listen to this one – from Micah – But you, O Bethlehem, who are one of the little clans of Judah, from you shall come forth for me one who is to rule in Israel.”

Not to be outdone, Melchior said, “The prophet Isaiah says this -- For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders.”

The three men reviewed their calculations and compared their star charts.  Caspar said, “Now is the time.  We must go and see this child-king.” 

Another one said, “No, not now – maybe next year – look at this calculation”  He waved a parchment around, barely missing Abid’s head. 

Caspar banged his hand on the table, rattling the cups of coffee, and frustrating the attentive Abid.  “Buck up, friends!  We must follow that star!”   Abid, righting the coffee cups, filed the word ‘Starbucks’ away for future reference.

“Listen to this,” said Balthazar, ‘They shall bring gold and frankincense, and shall proclaim the praise of the Lord.’  We should bring gifts!  Who will bring the gold?  Who will bring the frankincense?  I think I have some extra myrrh stored away.”  The three men shuffled their papers and stared at their feet.

“Abid,” said Caspar, “I don’t think I really need to take gold.  What would a child do with gold?  But in my room is a bag of copper coins.  When you pack for me, add that to the camel’s bag.”

“And, Abid,” said Melchior, “I might have some frankincense in my room, but let’s leave that for another giving opportunity.  Pack that perfume we picked up at WalziarMart.  That will do.”

“Oh, yes, Abid,” added Balthazar, “It must be myrrh for my gift, but bring the myrrh my mother-in-law gave me last year, not the jar I’ve been saving back for my own funeral.  That child won’t know the difference, I’m sure.  It’s the thought that counts, right?”

So Abid rolled his eyes, and started packing. 

To be continued tomorrow...

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Nike Chillemi said...

I find this study of yours very interesting.

I'm doing a similar study...from a historical pov.

http://eyesofaphara.wordpress.com/2011/10/17/an-orphan-girl-looks-at-the-life-of-jesus/

Hope you had a blessed Christmas season. Happy New Year.

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home