Monday, September 26, 2011

CLM

I'm working on pursuing the training to become a United Methodist Certified Lay Minister.  There are four modules to the training, and the second one has four parts -- which means that there are seven sections to the training.  I've almost finished module 3 and then will move to completion with module 4.
I get some interesting questions:
  1. Why are you doing this?  I'm a lay person who wants to be more equipped for the ministry to which I have been called, and this is one of the only ways I can find it.
  2. What is your calling?  I am called to a ministry to the larger church, specifically as the Associate Director of the Foundation.   I am also called to give of my time to the ministry of my local church. It's easier for me to see how my gifts can be used at the Foundation.
  3. Why aren't you just going for ordination?  That's an actual question someone asked me last night.  I don't like the question, and I think it devalues the role of laity in our church. 
  4. What are you going to do as a certified lay minister?  I'm not sure, and this one question almost stopped me from starting the process.  Every time I tried to stop, I felt like God was nagging me to continue.  So I've stepped out in faith and just said, "yes."  I know what I'll be doing at the Foundation, but I'm not so certain about my church. 
  5. What about the curriculum?  The curriculum is very specifically designed for a CLM who will be pastoring a church.  That is another challenge in this process.
  6. Are you finding support  Most people don't understand what I am doing.  There are some who have been very supportive.li>

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home