Friday, March 04, 2011

Lent

Tulip in my office
The Friday Five at RevGalBlogPals today asks writers to share 5 things they appreciate about the season of Lent and one thing they could do without.

Lent:
  1. I especially noticed this last year, but it seems that during Lent I end up craving a spiritual discipline of some kind.
  2. I half-heartedly started one last year that didn't work out.  Once I finally settled on something do-able, even though it was a sacrifice, it felt right.
  3. Our church's 40 hour Prayer Vigil -- Each year for several years, we have held a prayer vigil at my church.  Each of us takes an hour.  Even though at first it felt impossible, once I participated, it felt too short.  I always try to schedule my hour in the church chapel (rather than at home), and I relish that time.  I don't know why I don't do it more often.
  4. A minister of mine once said that to really "get" Easter, one has to start at Ash Wednesday.  I can't say I enjoy Ash Wednesday or Maundy Thursday or Good Friday worship, but it does increase my appreciation of Easter. 
  5. Lent happens in spring.  It may begin with snow, but it ends with new life.  Maybe that is a metaphor.
What could I do without?  My son always asking me "What are you giving up, Mom?" as if he wants to be my policeman.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home