Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Sacrifice and Blessing

Years ago -- many years ago, I was a student in a class to learn how to be a Bethel Bible teacher. It was a great class. I learned a lot, and for the first time, traveled systemically through the Bible.

If I had to state a theme of the series, it was "Blessed to be a Blessing."

I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you, and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. Genesis 12:2
God blesses us everyday, and we in turn share that grace with those around us.

I read a story today on the UM Reporter blog about a special Blessing of the Animals. At Hendrix College in Conway, Arkansas, a student named Charis Lorenz is raising a puppy named Concerto to be a service dog to the blind. Once Concerto reaches the age of 16-18 months old, s/he will move on, away from Charis, to become a service dog.

So, the story goes, Concerto is being blessed and will eventually become a blessing.

What struck me, though, was the role of the student, Charis. Imagine raising a puppy to age 16 months, and then giving it back. I imagine that would be heartbreaking.

A sacrifice.

Charis is picking up a cross, loving an animal into adulthood and then sending the dog on its way to bless someone who needs a guide dog. Love, sacrifice, blessing. A story of love and grace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home