Friday, August 14, 2009

Comfortable and Bored

I was at the mall today, and I wandered through the purse section. I love to shop for purses. I really like leather bags. I think I've inherited that gene from my mom -- her fetish is shoes; mine comes out in purses.

For the past couple of years I have gravitated to Stone Mountain brand bags. I love the leather, the design -- all of it comes together to appeal to me both aesthetically and practically. In fact, I noticed today that I probably buy the SAME Stone Mountain bag each time -- maybe a little bit different, but essentially the same. I'm comfortable with them, and maybe I'm just a little bit bored.

Hang with me; I have a point.

I think we do the same things in our churches. We go with what we know; with what we like. It feels right, and at some point, it was useful and practical. Maybe now we are a little bit bored with it, but we don't want to change it, because we are comfortable in it.

I read somewhere once that if we are bored with what we are doing to be closer to God, then God is probably bored, too. The more comfortable and the same everything is, the more bored we are with it. We are less likely to change it, because the best times we can remember with God were when our routine was new and useful. It worked then; shouldn't it work now?

So, this week I told a church committee I was meeting with that if something which was done last year didn't work, then we really shouldn't do it this year. And I didn't buy a Stone Mountain purse.

I didn't buy any purse; I have my eyes on a Fossil bag, and I'm waiting for it to go on sale. That's two genes I've inherited from Mom.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home