Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Be still

Be still and know that I am God.

Simple words. Easy to type. Not so easy to put into practice.

I'm preaching this Sunday in Weirton. I'm thinking, I'm reading, I'm preparing. I'm feeling as if I am running behind in preparation, but I'm trusting that it will work out.

Part of the preparation has been prayer -- probably not enough, but still, there has been prayer. I went to the chapel in the church where we have our offices. I went there to pray.

I'm sitting in the chapel, trying to start talking to God, when I felt as if he kept interrupting. "Dear God, will you..." Be still. Be quiet.

Be still and know that I am God.

There is such wisdom in that sentence, because what I really needed was to know that God was God. God is God.

If we can remember that, then trust comes much more easily.

Leave it to God to know the answer before I ask the question.

Be still and know.

Image: Window in Beverly Hill UMC.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger bob said...

I recently read Don Pipers book Ninety minutes in heaven a glimpse of heaven.
Don survived his brush with death but his body was so injured he could not move for months and months. A friend gave him a plaque with the inscription Be still and know that I am God. I think it is our minds that need to stop racing for to realize God's prescence in our lives.

5:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home