Monday, March 09, 2009

How You Serve

We were working today on a newsletter, trying to edit a sidebar that explained a few highlights of what the Foundation does. It was the last article of the newsletter to receive intense editing; it was close to the end of the day; the room was hot, and we were out of steam.

We decided to set it aside and return to it the next day. Before I put it away (and after I turned on the air conditioning), I took one more look at it.

The first phrase was "The Foundation offers..." I thought about it, and changed the phrase to "The Foundation serves..." That one word of change made everything else fall into line. Instead of listing our offerings, I listed those we serve ... individuals, local churches and the Church, and in what ways we can serve them.

I think there might be a lesson in that. It's the people that come first. When we remember that what we are doing -- no matter what we are doing -- is service, then everything else falls into place.

Pick up your cross. Not because it is something that you offer, but because it is how you serve.

Image: Driving across the river at sunset.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home