Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Stewardship

I'm reading the book Beyond Money by Dan Dick.

The book is subtitled Becoming Good and Faithful Stewards. I'm working my way through it, but I was interested in his model of stewardship.

He says that discipleship is the process of learning to be a Christian (I'm paraphrasing). We sit at the feet of Christ, and learn how to live the life God would have us to live. Stewardship, on the other hand, is the next step. Once we have learned about Christianity, and how to follow God, we are called to use our gifts for the transformation of the world. It's the next step.

I hadn't thought of stewardship that way, but I think it might be a good model. Discipleship is not the end -- it is the means to an end.

I believe that too often we think of stewardship as the process of raising money for the annual campaign each year. Stewardship is so much more than that.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home