Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Finishing

I attended a Lenten Luncheon today at the church where the Conference Center Offices are located. After lunch, the senior pastor at St. Marks, the Rev'd Monty Brown, delivered the message. He quoted a song called Gethsemene:
Then I was inspired. Now I'm sad and tired. After all, I've tried for three years; seems like ninety. Why then am I scared to finish what I started -- what YOU started; I didn't start it.
How often do we feel that? How often are we tired of trying? How often do we want to just quit?

I think we (I)need to be reminded. In ministry, we aren't doing a task that we started. We're doing a task that God has started. It is his mission -- his plan -- his goals. He has started it, and has asked us to come along for the ride. Surely, then, we can have the faith that He will finish what He has started.

What do we need to do? Trust and obey.

Image: Window in Calvary United Methodist Church, Ripley

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This is my favorite song from "Jesus Christ Superstar." What a powerful image - one I try to use every Lenten Season in our Sunday School Class. Thanks so much for using these lyrics in your post.

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home