Thursday, September 11, 2008

Personal Disciplines

The third method that Andy Stanley says that God uses to expand our faith is Personal Disciplines.

In what ways does the routine of spending time looking for God expand your faith? How has it expanded mine?

When I came back from my Emmaus walk -- and not immediately -- it took a few months for this routine to fit itself to my lifestyle -- I began spending time in devotional reading each morning. I started out thinking that I would take time five days a week to do it. I ended up liking the quiet time so much that I changed it to every morning. My first project was to read the Bible from front to back. I had never done that, and I felt that I needed to. It gave me a bigger picture of the Bible -- one that I don't think I had before then. After that, I began to read Disciplines -- the Upper Room resource based on the Revised Common Lectionary readings. I read the scripture reading for the day, the devotional, and spend some time in prayer. I say that with confidence, although I don't always get it done. I wish I did -- every day. It does enrich my thoughts through out the day, and I think it brings me closer to God.

Blogging for me is a discipline. It makes me think. There are days when I can barely but two words together, but I know if I ever start doing it based only on how I feel, that I will stop doing it altogether. Habits are important. Writing things down in this manner expands my faith.

As part of blogging, in February, 2006, I decided to spend a week carrying around my digital camera, just to see what I would find that was extraordinary. I haven't stopped taking pictures yet. It's a discipline, and it has expanded my faith. There are times when I just stand and stare, amazed by God's work.

The image above was taken on the way to Oakland, Maryland. Windmills. Powered by wind. Are we powered by the breath of God? Do our disciplines increase our awareness of pneumo - God's breath? God's spirit?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home