Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Renewal

I'm still thinking about The Grove event. There was much talk yesterday about restoration and renewal (which is an obvious statement, considering the purpose of The Grove).

Jesus took time to pull away from his ministry, from time to time. He sought time alone and he spent time in solitary prayer.

Why did he do that? I assume that he needed it; if he needed it, then so do I, but why did he need it? What is the "so that" of renewal?

I ask this question because I'm apt to just sit and rest. I'm not sure that this kind of relaxation has a purpose or a reason -- I just like to do it, so I do.

There are times when I take a day off and just spend it on my own. Time apart. I need it; I don't just do it because I like it, but because if I don't do it, I get "antsy." I read the other day that people who take time for lunch during their work day are more productive than people who don't.

If the rest -- if the relaxation -- is because we are renewed for ministry, then it is sacred and holy. I'm not sure that I can say that about all of my quiet time, but for some of it, it's truth.

I think the point I'm trying to make -- and I am really am rambling around it -- is that I know that renewal is necessary. I just think that we need to make sure that it has a "so that."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home