Friday, May 09, 2008

Venti Changes

I was listening to the radio this morning. The two women hosting the talk show were discussing Starbucks and how silly the ordering of a coffee has become. One of them was particularly proud of herself for ordering a "large" the other day (instead of using the meaningless word "venti." )

In June of last year, I was complaining about the lingo used at Starbucks to designate drink size. The ubiquitous coffee shop had finally arrived in Huntington, and I was having trouble remembering which large word was which.

Since then, I've been to Starbucks more than countless times. The language has become second nature to me, and I don't even think about how grande being medium and tall being small is really an odd thing. The Starbucks culture has "corrupted" me.

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2
It is so easy to be conformed to the world. In fact, sometimes we have to work very hard to NOT be conformed to the nature of our society and the world. It is a whole different matter to "be transformed by the renewing of your mind." Tranformation is a gift of grace. It's something that God does for us. Thanks be to God, because I know I would not make that kind of change without grace.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home