Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Covenant Community

As part of our youth retreat, we talked to the kids about God's vision and mission for our church.

The beginning of that statement calls our church a "covenant community." JtM asked them what it means to be a covenant community. I thought their answers were interesting:

Covenant -- promised, united, together, desirable, bargain, agreement, reliable, trusting.

Community -- together, population, relationship, community, harmony.
One of the youth defined it as a "group of people working together for a common goal. We talked about a covenant community as a group which shares tolerance moving toward acceptance.

To me they are a living example of a covenant community. The youth from our church, as different as the individual members are, share the love of Christ with each other. I think that they came pretty close to defining covenant community with words, but I think that they "get" it by the way they walk together as a youth fellowship.

Many are the times when I know that I learn more from them than I could ever teach them. I am blessed to have a small role in their group.

Image: Cabin at Spring Heights -- doesn't it look like home?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home