Thursday, April 03, 2008

A Fire

Today, in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, a backhoe hit a gas line, causing a natural gas leak. Later that day, the gas exploded, creating a fire at the almost 100 year old First Baptist church. The church and a nearby house, were destroyed by fire.

I do believe that a church is not the building. The church is the people that God has gathered together to form a church family. The church will go on without its building.

But still...

I am sad for this church, just as I would be sad for a family that lost their home. I imagine all the memories attached to the place. The weddings, the funerals, the baptisms, the confirmations, the youth meetings, the luncheons, the fundraisers for mission work, the worship, the prayer, the Sunday school classes and the fellowship.... Of course, the destruction of the building doesn't negate any of that, but that doesn't mean that the actual church -- the people -- won't be so horribly sad at their loss.

The church is not a building, I know. But the building is the physical home of the church, and I sympathize with their loss.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home