Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Leaning against God

Consider John 13:21-25 (from The Message):

After he said these things, Jesus became visibly upset, and then he told them why. "One of you is going to betray me." The disciples looked around at one another, wondering who on earth he was talking about. One of the disciples, the one Jesus loved dearly, was reclining against him, his head on his shoulder. Peter motioned to him to ask who Jesus might be talking about. So, being the closest, he said, "Master, who?"
As I was reading this last week, I was struck by the line "was reclining against him." That phrase creates a vision of John leaning against Jesus in my mind. The other versions don't phrase it that way.

Our beagle is a pack dog. She likes to be close. She'll jump up on the couch when I'm sitting on it, find a spot, and start walking in circles. Once she has massaged the couch into submission, she plops down, right against me. It doesn't matter if she has the entire couch as a resting place, she chooses to shove herself against me.

Shouldn't we be that way with God? Reclining against him when we have questions?

Consider Thomas, one of the lectionary readings for this week. He had doubts, and he gets a bad name because of it. Really, though, he did what we are all to do -- he asked Jesus for help. He leaned against God. Sometimes I think I am too slow to remember to do the same thing.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happened to stumble on your "thought" while looking for some devotional ideas. Thank you for the reminder of how precious it is to "sit close" to our dear Lord.

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home