Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Memory of a scent

I was reading Reflectionary, a lectionary blog, and Rev. Songbird was talking about perfume and the sense of smell. She was thinking about the woman who anointed Jesus with perfume. She wondered if the smell of that ministry was a memory that the woman (Mary?) carried with her for the rest of her life.

The sense of smell creates indelible, unforgettable memories. Are there scents and odors which recreate sacred moments in your mind?

Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart, and the pleasantness of one's friend springs from his earnest counsel. Proverbs 27:9

Are there certain smells which bring a rush of memories to your mind?

  • I will always remember the smell of the paper mill at Covington, VA. It's not sacred, but it is distinctive. And nasty.
  • Sam's (the store) and Target have very memorable smells, to me.
  • Funeral homes, with the flowers
  • The candle we burn at Nurture meetings
  • My husband's cologne
  • My local yarn shop, and any yarn from it that I buy.
  • Easter morning at my church, with the flowers.

Image: Flowers from the grounds of West Virginia Wesleyan at annual conference last year.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home