Monday, March 10, 2008

Awful

When you have time, take a look at this article from the UMC web site: Interviewing Pastors is an Awful Job.

I particularly like two points in this commentary:
  1. The two definitions of "awful" -- "causing fear or dread or terror," but also "inspired by a feeling of fearful wonderment or reverence." It seems impossible to believe that something could meet both of those definitions, but I like the counterpoint of them. I think, as our church goes through an appointment process, it can be both fearful and full of wonderment. Perhaps more often than we think, when God is involved in a process, we find it to be awful, in both senses of the word.
  2. I like this quote:
    Because do you know what I want from my pastor? I want him/her to be a good person. That's it. Genuine, caring, and concerned. Hard working and involved. I want a smile when they look at a child and warmth in their tone when they talk to the old guy who smells bad.
Wht do any of us want in a pastor? A good person. It's hard to determine that from a move profile. I think that I am grateful to not be a member of any Board of Ordained Ministry or part of a cabinet responsible for moving pastors from one place of service to another.

It could be just awful.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home