Thursday, November 01, 2007

Read this scripture from Zacchaeus, Luke 19:5-6:

When Jesus came to the place, he looked up and said to him, "Zacchaeus, hurry and come down; for I must stay at your house today." So he hurried down and was happy to welcome him.
Whenever I read this passage, or hear it read, I make a joke. "Jesus, sorry, you can't come by the house right now; it's too messy. Give me an hour or two to clean first, then come on by."

Do we do that spiritually? Do we tell God, "Not today, God -- my life is too messy for you to come in. Let me straighten it out first."

Years and years ago, I was talking to a friend. She had grown up as a Presbyterian, and still considered her home church to be her church. She wouldn't go very often, because she felt that she wasn't worthy (my word) -- that she couldn't live up to whatever she thought the expectations were of people who attended church.

So she stayed in her tree. I can tell you that her tree has become a lonely place now. In it, she has found infidelity, loss of family, drugs, maybe abuse. Her tree is a not a place of healing or wholeness.

We stay in our trees. We tell Jesus to come back later. Jesus, though, isn't someone from whom we can hide the mess of our lives. He knows we're messy. That's why he came. That's why he invites us to leave the tree and to come to him.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home