Friday, July 20, 2007

Remembrance

And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me." (Luke 22:19)

We went to a workshop at SPLAT last week taught by Ray Buckley. He is a native American, who works in the United Methodist church to help maintain the spiritual influence of the Indian culture and it's role in spirituality.

He taught us the meaning of the world "remember" in his native language. It is more than just recall. It is more than I know your name. It's s statement of relationship.

He defined remembering someone as expressing that the person has changed you down to the marrow of your bones -- a deep transformation. Remember me.

I have many names in life. I am Kim, and that has a certain meaning. When people use my name, it is a statement of knowledge. They know me -- they know me well enough to use my name. It says that that person is speaking to me, if that makes any sense.

I have other names. I am Mom. Only two people in the world can call me Mom, and it is a statement that they "remember" me -- when they call me Mom, they are saying that I have an impact on them, to the "marrow of their bones." The same can be send when I am called "wife" by the only person in the world who can say, "She is my wife." Sometimes I call him "husband," just to make that same point to him.

I have friends who, of course, I call by name. But sometimes, in an email or a note, I will call them 'friend.' Calling them 'friend,' for me, is a way of saying, "I remember you."

I think the verse from Luke is asking us to do the same thing. "Do this in remembrance of me." Jesus is asking us to acknowledge and recognize that God has affected and transformed us -- to the marrow of our bones.


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home