Saturday, July 21, 2007

One Body, One Church

I'm working on a Sunday school lesson for tomorrow the theme of which is a report on our Annual Conference. As a lay member to annual conference, I'm trying to find ways to communicate to our church what happened during those few days.

More than that, though, I want to give them a feeling that they are members of more than our local church. I want to impress on them that they are part of a larger church -- a larger body of Christ than our corner of the world.

I'm starting the lesson with scripture -- part of 1 Corinthians 12. I had in mind something else -- something more in line with One God, One Spirit, One Church, but in my rush this afternoon to pick a scripture, I couldn't put my finger on that passage in particular.

I hope to demonstrate to the class (and to another class I'm scheduled to teach in a couple of weeks) that because they are part of the a connectional church, that their reach is longer and they can walk a longer distance in service to God. I'll tell them about resolutions and petitions, but I will also tell them about mission projects, Nothing but Net, and Kairos. I'll tell them who was elected to General Conference from WV, but I also hope to show them who we are as a connection -- what we value and what seems to be important in this larger body of Christ.

We'll see how it goes.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home