Friday, June 01, 2007

Deeper Still

I was listening to XM radio this morning on the way to drop J off at school, and a I heard a new song called Deeper Still, sung by Scott Krippayne. I've never heard of him or the song before, but I like it. I don't know if this will work or not, but here is a link to an mp3 of the beginning of song -- first verse and chorus -- on Scott's web page.

Here I am in this familiar place again
Standing on the shore of my complacency
Ankle deep in love I once was swimming in
Shallowness has taken over me


How often do we find ourselves on the shores of our complacency, ankle deep in a love that we were once swimming in. Do you have days like that? Days when the experience of God seems a remote dream and there is little passion in your faith? I think we all do.

But the current pulls the sand
And moves my stubborn feet
From the dryness of the land
To where the wave pound over me

Current. Have you ever experienced a strong current at the ocean? It pulls you, and it's hard to fight. In fact, at times there are warnings along the beach that there are strong undercurrents. God is like that. His grace is like a current, pulling us, and never releasing up. He pulls us from our dryness to his living water. Sometimes we are stubborn, but we have learned our stubbornness from our Father. He loves us with a stubborn relentless force.

CHORUS:
Take me deep enough where I can see
The bottom of Your heart
Deep enough that I can know Your will
Deep enough to know that we
Will never be apart
And when I get there
Take me deeper still

That's a great prayer. Take me deep enough where I can see the bottom of your heart. I can't imagine that there is a bottom to God's heart. His heart -- his love -- is infinitely huge. But the writer knows that. He asks God to draw him close, so that he can know God's will. We all stumble around, I think, trying to discern God's will. And when we get there, pull us deeper still!

Take me through the wonders of Your faithfulness
Help me see the depth of my own need
Lead me to the water where Your mercy is
For You and You alone can set me free

Do we really want to know the depth of our own need? If we trust God enough, we can handle what he will show us. It is through knowing God, learning of his mercy, that we are finally set free. Free so that we can say:

I am covered by Your grace
Far away from shore
As You’re taking me to places
I have never been before

And Amen.

Image is from
this link (the ocean in Washington State)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home