Sunday, May 27, 2007

Water on Fire

Our associate pastor today planned a wonderful Pentecost sermon. As an illustration for the Children's moment, she (somehow) set the baptismal font water on fire.

How cool is that?

I have to say that I've never thought of the connection between baptism and Pentecost.

In baptism, we are claimed by God. In that claiming, he says, "You are my child. I will equip you to answer my call, and be my agent in the world.

That's what happened at Pentecost. You are my children. You are now blessed with the Holy Spirit.

We need to remember that when we are baptized by water, we are also baptized by fire -- we are inhabited by the Holy Spirit. If we allow it, that fire will energize us and equip us -- bring the word of God to us in a language we can understand.

Come, Spirit, Come!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home