Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Carry You

As I mentioned in a post a few days ago, we took the youth on retreat to the WV Methodist Retreat Center -- Spring Heights. It was a terrific event, and I can't say enough good things about it.

As part of the programming for the weekend, we gave each youth a rock. They were asked to hold it, to think about what worries them, distracts them, or stand between them and God. We asked them to shove those worries into the rock, and to remember that God is our rock -- our help -- and is willing to take our burdens and lighten our load.

He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 18:2-4
Toward late afternoon the next day, we took a hike to a creek, where we talked about the rocks again. The youth had been carrying them all weekend. At the creek, we talked about letting go, and asked the youth to throw their rocks into the creek, symbolizing letter go of their worries.

It was a beautiful spot in the woods -- green canopy of trees, creek, wind, presence of God. I wonder, though, are children and youth more able to let go of worries than we are? I wonder if that is part of trust -- if that is part of what Jesus means when he says, "become like little children."

I find that I have trouble doing that. I think it takes an element of trust -- belief in God. I don't mean believing that God exists -- I mean faith that God will do the best for me -- a belief in God -- that he is trustworthy. Is that something that a child is better able to grasp?

Lay down your burden,
I will carry you
I will carry you, my child
Lay down your burden, I will carry you
I will carry you, my child, my child

If I can walk on water
And calm a restless sea
I've done a thousand things you've never done
And I'm weary watchin'
While you struggle on your own
Call my name, I'll come

Chorus

I give vision to the blind
And I can raise the dead
I've seen the darker side of Hell
And I returned
And I see these sleepless nights
And I count every tear you cry
I know some lessons hurt to learn

Lay down your burden, I will carry you
I will carry you, my child, my child

Image: Youth on retreat at creekside

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home