Monday, April 23, 2007

Thoughts about Forgiveness, Part II

Continuing with thoughts about forgiveness from Friday’s post, what is the role of grace in forgiveness? We talk in class often of our ability to forgive. I’ve heard comments like these:

When the anger is fresh, and the pain is strong, it is too hard to forgive. I need to wait until it hurts less.

What would happen if this were the attitude that we had when we were sick? “This broken arm hurts too much for me to go to the doctor. I’ll wait until it starts to heal first, and then I’ll go seek medical attention.”

If we are hurting, if the pain is so huge that we realize that forgiveness is impossible, why are we taking on the added burden of searching for healing on our own? Shouldn’t we be reaching for God at this point instead of waiting for healing first? I know we don’t. I know I don’t, but the logic of it is a little bit baffling.

There is no way that I can forgive that person. I don’t wish him harm, but I can’t ever forgive him.

I think that she was absolutely right. There are certain situations that we, on our own, cannot forgive. We just can’t do it. God knows that, and he offers a solution.

There are some things that we cannot forgive, except by the grace of God.

Ah hah! One of the older gentlemen in the class said it, and it is the message that I think both JtM and I hope that the members of the class learn above all others.

Forgiveness is sometimes only possible through the grace of God. Sometimes, I think, we see forgiveness as a pretty flower arrangement – smells nice, looks beautiful, sits on the table and gives us joy. Forgiveness is not like that. Forgiveness stinks. It’s hard, and it’s painful, and it can be wrenching. It is not natural. God, through his grace, is our enabler to do the impossible – to forgive the one who hurt us.

Tomorrow: Why forgive?

Happy Birthday, MBC -- Never 10 years older....

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home