Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Forever Mine


I taught Sunday school last Sunday. The theme of the lesson was the idea that Jesus is the light of the world.

I always think it is interesting when the discussion in a class goes in a direction that I don't predict. That happened two or three times last Sunday.

Once question we talked about was why the disciples believed in Jesus. Did he have something "extra?" Did they notice something special about him that clued them in that he was who he said he was?

The lead to the question from one of the members of the class: "He's coming back. Will we recognize him when he does?"

The best I could come up with at the time was that I felt like the second coming would be different from the first.

As I was driving home today, I was still thinking about it. At the same time, I was listening to Chris Tomlin's version of Amazing Grace (Want to hear it? Go to the web site for the upcoming movie, Amazing Grace.)

The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures;
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures
.
As I thought about it today, I decided that perhaps it's not something that I need to worry about. God has claimed me; I am his child. This is not a game for him. It is not a test. The kingdom of God is in the future, but it is also in the now. We can trust him.

How about that? He has given us his word, and we can trust him. He has given us the Word. We don't need to worry.

The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,
The sun forbear to shine;
But God, who call'd me here below,
Will be for ever mine.
He will be forever mine. Amazing, isn't it?

Image: It's an albino peacock. I have no idea where the pictures are from; they arrived in my email today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home