Wednesday, December 27, 2006

O, God

Note: The italicized stanzas are from the song, "Here With Me" by Mercy Me. Thanks to JtM for pointing to the song.

I long for your embrace
Every single day
To meet you in this place
And see you face to face


O, God,
Sometimes I feel so far away.
Doubts and fear creep in,
Pushing the realization of your presence
Into the background.
Do you feel the distance, God?
Are you reaching?
Searching for me as I search for you?

Will you show me?
Reveal yourself to me
Because of your mercy
I fall down on my knees


O, God,
There are times when I wish
For a way to know you more.
To understand you more.
There are times, God,
When I want reality to be different
Than it is.
When I know that the way things are,
Are not the way that they were meant to be.
Do you feel the same way?
Do you, in your deepest heart,
Wish for different way?

And I can feel your presence here with me
Suddenly I'm lost within your beauty
Caught up in the wonder of your touch
Here in this moment I surrender to your love


And then, O, God,
There are times when I can feel you
Present with me.
Like a part of me,
Entrenched in my heart,
Like a gift,
Like a welcome heaviness,
A certainty.
Do you feel it?
Do you know I am close?
Do you smile, like I do
When my children are held close?

You're everywhere I go
I am not alone
You call me as your own
To know you and be known


O, God,
I know I never walk alone.
I am so full of gratitude for my life,
For the many blessings in it,
For the knowledge of you,
Do you know it?
Can you feel how thankful I am?
Does my worship in any way
Warm your heart,
You grace and love, God,
Set mine on fire.

I surrender to your grace
I surrender to the one who took my place


Image: Candle at our Sunday morning Christmas Eve service.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This song has given me assurance of God's presence...it is very powerful and meaningful to me. The music is great, too. Your prayer is a gift for me today. Thanks!

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home