Sunday, November 12, 2006

Growth

Our laundry room is mainly unfinished. G went came out of it this morning, as he was getting clothes together for church, and said, "Mom, I keep hitting my head on a pipe in the laundry room. I didn't used to hit my head on it."

I smiled -- he's growing. His legs are aching, he's eating everything in site, and he's clumsy. In about a week, he'll be taller. His body will learn where its parts are again, so he'll quit running into things, and he'll go back to normal eating again. Right now, though, he's growing.

One of God's promises that was used as an Emmaus table name was growth:
No prolonged infancies among us, please. We'll not tolerate babes in the woods, small children who are an easy mark for impostors. God wants us to grow up, to know the whole truth and tell it in love—like Christ in everything. We take our lead from Christ, who is the source of everything we do. He keeps us in step with each other. His very breath and blood flow through us, nourishing us so that we will grow up healthy in God, robust in love. (Ephesians 4:14-16)
Growth in particular has been on my mind because of today's Sunday school lesson. It was about the discovery of the book of Deuteronomy in the temple during the reign of Josiah. Jean talked about how we have the responsibility to take advantage of the gift of easily accessible scriptures -- to read and study them.

I must confess that when I think of growth, I usually think of something hard-won -- something that we work for, and achieve on our own. If it is a promise, however, then it is something that God gives us -- it is a gift of grace.

I can make sure G drinks his milk; I can buy him bigger shoes; I can even give him vitamins, and insist that he eats his carrots. None of that will make him grow. It all creates an atmosphere conducive to growth, and it ensures that he has the supplies for his body to transform itself into a taller entity, but the actual growth is out of my hands.

We need to study, to pray, and to listen for God. We need to reach out to others in service. We need to do what we can to get closer to God. God will grant us with spiritual growth. Then, watch out for the pipes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home