Saturday, November 11, 2006

Promises

Standing on the promises of Christ my King,
Through eternal ages let His praises ring,
Glory in the highest, I will shout and sing,
Standing on the promises of God.

Standing, standing,
Standing on the promises of God my Savior;
Standing, standing,
I’m standing on the promises of God.


The drawing to the right was done by my older son from a of the front door of our church. I like the picture, and I like Grant's rendition.The rainbow -- a symbol of God's promise. I really like that it is hanging over the door of the church, and blowing OUT from the church (I never did figure that out. Why out?)

At the Emmaus walk that a couple of weeks ago, the tables were given names using the theme of God's promises -- encouragement, growth, strength, forgiveness, peace and joy. Do we trust those promises? Do we believe that we will find those gifts from God?

Standing on the promises I now can see
Perfect, present cleansing in the blood for me;
Standing in the liberty where Christ makes free,
Standing on the promises of God
.

R. Kelso Carter wrote the hymn "Standing on the Promises" after reading 2 Corinthians 1:20:

For no matter how many promises God has made, they are "Yes" in Christ. And so through him the "Amen" is spoken by us to the glory of God.

Standing on the promises I cannot fall,
Listening every moment to the Spirit’s call
Resting in my Savior as my all in all,
Standing on the promises of God
.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home