Monday, November 27, 2006

Getting ready?

Four weeks until Christmas day. That’s 28 days. Are you ready? Do you hate that question? I do.

I caught myself yesterday telling my newly-moved-into-town sister in law that I have come to dread the Christmas season, and that by December 26, I’m glad that it is all over. That’s an awful attitude, and it is unlike me. I like every individual part of the Christmas celebration – cards, presents, wrapping, cooking, decorating. I love the church at Christmas. I enjoy the special events, the way the building looks, and the music. So what’s going on with me?

I was thinking about this on the way to work this morning. I wondered what God would say if I asked him.

  • I think he would say, “Focus. Focus on Christ instead of on all the rest.”
  • I think he would say, “I have great plans for this month for you. Don’t turn your back on Christmas because you are too busy doing other things.”
  • I think he would say, “I have a great banquet prepared for you. Don’t disappoint me – I want to share it with you.”
So, what does that mean? What do I need to DO to make the season centered on God? Do I need to go and buy a special advent devotional? Make sure I attend all of the Advent concerts? Rush around and get everything done early? What do I need to add to my “To Do” list to make this happen?

Then I realized, as I walked through the parking lot this morning, that I was approaching this problem in the wrong way. There is nothing I need to DO; there is nothing I can DO to fix this. What I need to do is to let go. Surrender it to God. Give Christmas to him, and let him fix it.

I think he would say, “Come on, Kim, trust me.”

1 Thessalonians 3:11-13: May God our Father himself and our Master Jesus clear the road to you! And may the Master pour on the love so it fills your lives and splashes over on everyone around you, just as it does from us to you. May you be infused with strength and purity, filled with confidence in the presence of God our Father when our Master Jesus arrives with all his followers.

Images: All of these images are from the Alfama district of Lisbon. It is the one of the oldest areas of Lisbon, designed by the Moors who lived there. The streets are narrow, in the narrowest sense of the word. One walks in Alfama. Notice the cobblestone on the paths. The third picture? Not the narrowest place we walked. Some paths wouldn't have allowed you to stretch out your arms. I have to admit, though, the dog picture is one of my favorite from the entire trip. What's he looking at? What's he waiting for, so patiently?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home